Richard Stebbins, Ph.D., J.D., CFP® ®®®®
Dr. Stebbins is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Consumer Sciences at the University of Alabama. He started his career working in the financial planning profession at a boutique firm specializing in college professors. His clients inspired him to pursue a career in academia and he has been sharing what he has learned with students for over a decade. While earning his doctorate, he taught review courses for the CFP(R) exam. His research has been recognized with national awards and published in both financial and law journals.
- Ph.D (2019), Personal Financial Planning, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- J.D. (2005), Law, Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, TX
- M.S. (2005), Personal Financial Planning, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- B.S. (2002), Psychology, West Texas A&M University, Canyon, TX
- Certified Financial Planner® certificant
- Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor®
Awards and Honors
- Second prize at the FINRA undergraduate poster competition (faculty mentor), 2023
- FINRA National Financial Capability Study Research Paper Award (Coauthor), 2020
- CFP® Board Financial Planning Paper Award (Coauthor), 2020
- National Endowment for Financial Education Best Paper Award (Coauthor), 2015
Publications: for full text go to: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Richard-Stebbins/research
Stebbins, R., Kim, K.T., & Seay, M. (Forthcoming). Use of financial planner and financial wellbeing: Evidence from the National Financial Well-Being Survey. Financial Services Review
Fan, L., Stebbins, R., & Kim, K.T. (2021). Skint: Retirement? Financial Hardship and Retirement Planning Behaviors. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 43(2), 354-367.
Kim, K.T. & Stebbins, R. (2021). Everybody dies: financial education and basic estate planning. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 32(3), 402-416.
Archuleta, K., Stueve, C., Stebbins, R., Kemnitz, R., Chaffin, C., Williams, K., Poplaski, S., Sages, R., Tibbetts, R., Burr, E. (2019). Exploring perceptions of graduates’ experiences that impact CFP® certification: a multi-case inquiry. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 30(2), 323-334.
Palmer, L., Bhargava, V., Chatterjee, S., Stebbins, R. (2018) Supportive and mitigating factors associated with financial resiliency and distress. Financial Planning Review, 1(3-4), 1023
Palmer, L., Bhargava, V., Stebbins, R., Chatterjee, S. (2016). Net worth parity postbankruptcy: Policy considerations for investments in human capital. Business and Bankruptcy Law Journal, 3, 125-147.
Stebbins, R. (2012). Jacob’s ladder to a higher quality of life: special needs financial planning for practitioners and caregivers, Estate Planning and Community Property Law Journal, 4, 305- 320.